Terrible Sin During Ramadan…
Does zina (adultery)committed during Ramadan invalidates the fast for an individual? Is his fast ruined for Ramadan? What should he do to overcome such a terrible sin? Shaykh Abdullah bin Hamid Ali of the Zaytuna College responds to this question. May Allah make our fasting beneficial as we approach the last ten days of Ramadan!
Question: A brother committed zina in Ramadan. He believes that his fast is ruined, though the act was committed during the night. What can he do to obtain Allah ta Ala’s forgiveness ?
Shaykh Abdullah’s response:
He should resolve not to return to zina. Zina does not invalidate one’s Ramadan even if it is done during the day of the fast. One will simply have to make up the day and do an atonement of feeding 60 indigent people at 0.56 grams of the most commonly consumed grain of the town.
Follow up-Question: And what should he do not to lose hope in being forgiven? The brother has always had issues being with women since becoming Muslim and that is one hurdle he continues to struggle with. Do you have any advice?
Shaykh Abdullah’s response:
Remind him that Allah forgives every sin except for shirk. Even if a person’s sins were to reach the heaven in number, and then he asks forgiveness, Allah will forgive him. The important thing is the effort. If he is overcome by weakness, let him continue to repent each time, but he should never plan to do something with the intention of making tawba afterwards before he is even overcome by weakness.
And Allah knows best
Please support the Lamppost Education Initiative
Lamppost Education Initiative (Lamppost) is a non-profit educational effort that prides itself on contextualizing and grounding the teachings of Islam in America while maintaining the integrity of its historical message. Our mission is to facilitate access to the unique intellectual contributions of a select number of Muslim American scholars, inspire spiritual and social transformation, and empower through education. Lamppost provides a wide range of services and resources for the Islamic community in the west. We publish scholarly books and articles. We have provided Arabic to English translations of valuable, scholarly Islamic works from our traditional ulema of the past and present. We conduct online classes that help working families, stay at home mothers, and students. We conduct live, detailed seminars on a host of subjects ranging from marriage, fiqh, spiritual development and more.
For years, we have engaged in a very difficult struggle to provide these services at the lowest possible cost. Despite the lack of significant financial resources, we have continually provided scholarships to needy Muslims for our online courses, numerous free live seminars, and a host of exclusive articles and videos all at no cost.
Your donations are critical to provide Muslims from all across the country and throughout the world with access to high level and relevant Islamic scholarship.
Your donations will be utilized to perform the following tasks:
- Upgrading our technological abilities in providing live and recorded video sessions of our scholars across the country.
- Providing scholarships to needy Muslim students for our courses
- Publishing scholarly articles and books on a wide range of topics and subjects that impact Muslims in the West.
- Enabling us to conduct live, free seminars in needy Muslim communities with scholars like Shaykh Abdullah bin Hamid Ali, Dr Khalid Yahya Blankinship, Imam Zaid Shakir, Dr Sherman Abdul-Hakim Jackson, Shaykh Muhammad Adeyinka Mendes, and many others. We need your support in order to continue to provide the high level of Islamic instruction and assistance to Muslims across this country. Your tax-deductible donation helps the intellectual and spiritual needs of Muslims throughout the world. Please share this appeal with your friends and family to let them know about our efforts at Lamppost and encourage them to donate generously.
A donation of $10 or more will enable you to receive Shaykh Muhammad Mendes and Shaykh Yahya Rhodus “Muslim Spirituality” Click here to make your contribution and receive this special gift:
1. Click Donation Image below:
Within in 24 hours of your donation, you will receive an email with link to access your gift. May Allah reward you during this blessed month of Ramadan and please include us in your prayers.
You can also contribute by sending a check or money order to:
- Lamppost Education Initiative
- PO Box 13175
- Philadelphia, Pa 19101
In Sha ‘Allah, we are continuing to work hard to provide new classes, sessions, books and other projects to address the needs of the Islamic Community in America. Please stay tuned for more details on these future endeavors.